I received this book via Netgalley. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of this review.
Series: Forever Evermore #6
Published by Escape Publishing on 2017-12-04
Length: 373 pages
Reviewing eARC from Netgalley
Reading Challenges: #NGEW2017, 2017 New Release Challenge
The next book in the best-selling Forever Evermore series as Caro goes where no spirit elemental has gone before...
When Philip Masterson sends Caro back in time, he doesn’t expect to set off a series of events that will see her return stronger and more powerful than ever before. But her time spent with the Prodigies, Kings, and Elders in the nineties has long-reaching consequences that no one could have foreseen, consequences that increase tensions between the Mystical leadership when peace is needed.
Then Caro discovers something that changes the entire trajectory of her life, and finds herself torn: between the man she loves and the man who could mean everything, and the life that she’s chosen and the life that she was born to lead.
Chosen One by Scarlett Dawn is the 6th installment in her massive series Forever Evermore and the third for her heroine Caro. This book was lukewarm for me. There were parts I loved, parts I disliked, and parts that were just “meh.” I wanted to love this book because I really like Caro, but there were some issues that I just couldn’t overcome.
- Caro! I really enjoy this character. She is one of those that just faces the world and what it brings her head on and doesn’t care what others might think about her. She’s feisty, courageous, and loyal. Seriously I root for her all the way through the book.
- Time travel: if you read the last book then you know that we were left with a major cliffhanger and Caro forty years in the past. Personally I loved this development. I haven’t read the first trilogy in this series so I don’t really know the elders that are fleshed out in this book, but I loved seeing more of them, getting to know them better, AND then going back and rereading parts of Caro’s books when they were “first” introduced. So much makes sense now!
- Merrick….I won’t say anymore than that because of spoilers….but y’all *swoon*
- Cast of characters keeps growing and I’m not confused! I love this. Whenever there are a ton of characters, I usually need a glossary to refer back to in order to keep them all straight. However Scarlett Dawn has done a fantastic job of making each character unique enough that I don’t need it.
- The pacing: at times, the pacing for this book was fast, like I couldn’t set it down or turn the pages fast enough for my own liking…that fast. But then about the midway point the pacing went from blazing to ice cold. I’m not sure what happened, but it was like all of a sudden it was almost – dare I say it – boring *cringes* I’m not sure what to think about it. Then probably the last 50 pages the pace picked back up.
- The love interest or interests? I’m not sure. I didn’t really follow well what was going on. It felt like the author was possibly setting up a reverse harem type situation for our Caro and I’m not so sure that follows with her character. Maybe it’s just me, but Caro doesn’t seem like the type to be into more than one and she sure doesn’t like to share so….I’m just confused. The main love interest was a hate-to-love type thing and while it worked in the beginning of the book, it got real old REAL quick.
- Plot? Ummmm….y’all I can’t even tell you what this book is about because I don’t know myself. While I love Caro, her story so far has lacked direction. I’m not really sure what’s going on, what she is trying to accomplish, or why she is doing what she is doing. I’m lost. I noticed this in the last book and had hoped that this one would begin tying some threads together. So far no such luck.
Overall Chosen One was just an okay read for me. I’m interested enough in Caro to continue reading the series but I’m also disappointed that I’m still so lost in her story. I wanted….no NEEDED her story to begin making sense by now. Despite this I will continue to read and follow the author as I do love her storytelling ability. I have confidence that in Caro’s last book (which I believe the next one is) all these loose ends and directionless plot will make sense because Dawn is that good! If you enjoy the series, you don’t want to miss this next installment! If you haven’t read the series, than I highly suggest you begin with the first book and set some time aside to binge 😉