Hosted by: Jamie @ the Perpetual Page-Turner
This is my 3rd annual end of year book survey, all about the books I’ve read in 2016!
2016 Reading Stats
Number Of Books You Read: 158 (not including rereads)
Number of Re-Reads: 8
Genre You Read The Most From: fantasy
Best in Books
1. Best Book You Read In 2016?
Hands down my favorite book of the year was A Court of Mist and Fury by Sarah J. Maas, even if I did only just read it last week. ACOTAR was my favorite in 2015 so is it really a surprise 😉
2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
I love Sarah Fine! I’ve read all her books and really enjoyed the first two books in this series. BUT Mosaic left me hanging. It was so unlike the first two in the series, the characters acted out of character and there were large plot holes. Not the norm for this author. I tried to finish it, but I failed. At 35% I skimmed to find out what would happen and I have to say I’m glad I DNF’ed.
3. Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book you read?
4. Book You “Pushed” The Most People To Read (And They Did)?
Anyone that will listen, I tell them to read Strain of Resistance by Michelle Bryan. I love this book! It’s a dystopia, sci-fi with zombie-like creatures and a foul-mouthed heroine and sweet/steamy romance. If you haven’t read it yet, grab a copy ASAP!
5. Best series you started in 2016? Best Sequel of 2016? Best Series Ender of 2016?
Best Series I started in 2016
Greek-Mythology meets Urban Fantasy in this series and I devoured it!
Best Sequel of 2016
I’m dying y’all from that ending?! This book is dark, twisted, and I need King’s Cage ASAP!
Best Series Ender of 2016
My favorite series came to an end in November…I still haven’t recovered!
6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2016?
I know she’s not new, but she’s new-to-me. I finally picked up The Mortal Instruments series this year and fell in love. I’m loving her world-building and imagery! Can’t wait to read more from her.
7. Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone?
Please see #3….just kidding, but seriously I never read YA contemporary and I loved The Royals!
8. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year?
I’m not sure I’ve ever read a book faster than I did this one. I couldn’t set it down! I read it as fast as I could and then read it again to be sure I didn’t miss anything.
9. Book You Read In 2016 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?
I read Cinder & Ella by Kelly Oram for the first time in 2014 when it was first released and have read it at least a half dozen times since then. It never fails to put a smile on my face.
10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2016?
11. Most memorable character of 2016?
Bixby from Strain of Defiance by Michelle Bryan. This girl is a firecracker waiting to explode, talks like a sailor, and fights to the last breath for those she loves. I already mentioned the book in #4 but she deserved mentioning again.
12. Most beautifully written book read in 2016?
This book was 2+ years in the making and it was well worth the wait. Beautifully executed and ties into Fae mythology seamlessly.
13. Most Thought-Provoking/ Life-Changing Book of 2016?
14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2016 to finally read?
Umm….how did The Others never cross my radar until the end of 2015?! I’m a fantasy lover, specifically fantasies like this one: paranormal, urban fantasy. I love it! I have read all the books in the series now and am eagerly waiting on Etched in Bone coming in March.
15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2016?
16. Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2016?
Shortest: 28 pages
Longest: 640 pages
17. Book That Shocked You The Most
The ending of Chosen Fool by Scarlett Dawn left my mouth hanging wide open. Seriously, I said out loud “That’s it?!” and then threw my kindle down. I immediately picked it back up though and started reading the previous books in the series to see if I’d missed any clues about what was happening. I need the next book asap please 😀
18. OTP OF THE YEAR (you will go down with this ship!)
Hands down, my one true pairing is….
Feyre and Rhysand from A Court of Mist and Fury
May I just gloat for a minute and say I called this one?! Don’t believe me, check out my answer to this question last year 😉 I love these two and I’m anxious to see what will happen next.
19. Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship Of The Year
Simon and Clary from The Mortal Instruments…I know that at one point they have a semi-romantic relationship (at least they try) but I like them better as friends and enjoyed the books better without the tension between them.
20. Favorite Book You Read in 2016 From An Author You’ve Read Previously
21. Best Book You Read In 2016 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure:
I finally caved and started The Mortal Instruments series and I love them so far. I still lack reading books 4-6. I’m not sure why I haven’t read them before.
22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2016?
Kyle Hamilton from Kelly Oram’s V is for Virgin and A is for Abstinence books is my new crush. He’s unapologetic for who he is and I love it! I want some of his confidence for myself.
23. Best 2016 debut you read?
If you look back at last year’s survey, this was my most anticipated debut and it lived up to my expectations. I loved it 😀
24. Best World-building/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year?
A Mortal Song by Megan Crewe had the best world-building IMO. It’s set in urban Japan, but ties mythology into the story and weaves a wonderfully exciting tale with all kinds of creatures and spirits. Must read!
25. Book That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most FUN To Read?
I’m pretty sure I haven’t laughed this hard at a book in a long time. My Lady Jane reminds me a lot of The Princess Bride with its satire and dry humor.
26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2016?
This book had me crying sad and happy tears all the way through it. It’s a wonderful read if you enjoy clean, contemporary romance.
27. Hidden Gem Of The Year?
I’m not sure I’ve ever read a book quite like this one. First it’s set almost exclusively on a space ship, there are only 4 characters, and the reader never learns the name of the narrating character. It was interesting, engaging, and I’m beyond excited that there is a sequel coming this spring 😀
28. Book That Crushed Your Soul?
One of my favorite authors because I believe she can seriously write anything and it would be good. Paper Dolls is no exception. I loved this book. I devoured it and when I reached the end I was crushed. This is not for the faint of heart, but I highly recommend it. It is a must read!
29. Most Unique Book You Read In 2016?
I know this is like the 3rd time I’ve mentioned it, BUT Strain of Resistance is unlike anything I’ve ever read and it is SO good!!! I want everyone to read it, especially if you enjoy dystopia.
30. Book That Made You The Most Mad?
That ending?! I could seriously debate that ending for a long time. I know the next book is already out and I’ve heard its ending is worse. I just can’t handle it!!! Don’t get me wrong…I loved this book, just not the ending.
My Blogging/Bookish Life
1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2016?
2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2016?
My favorite review that I wrote this year was for The Queen of All that Lives by Laura Thalassa. It was an emotional, tumultuous read and my review reflects that. Lots of fangirling and gifs 😀
3. Best discussion/non-review post you had on your blog?
My best non-review post was one of my Waiting on Wednesday picks: Bright Smoke, Cold Fire by Rosamund Hodge. It seems like everyone was excited for this book.
4. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?
I didn’t attend any actual events, but did participate in several challenges this year. As in 2015, #COYER is still my favorite. It’s so much fun to discuss books, share the ones we love, and even participate in Secret Santa.
5. Best moment of bookish/blogging life in 2016?
I can’t pick out any particular moment, but there were a few where authors took notice and sent me an email as thank you or a shout out on Facebook/Twitter. It doesn’t matter how long I’ve been doing this, it still makes me squeal like a preteen girl at a boy band concert 😀
6. Most challenging thing about blogging or your reading life this year?
We moved this summer. I did not realize how much it would throw me off this year. I was even ahead on posts by almost an entire month. But it took me a good 2 months to get back into a reading/blogging groove.
7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?
My most popular post was a review I actually wrote in 2014 for a book that the author has since pulled from the market. Sorry friends that have been looking for Spearwood Academy Vol. 1 by A.S. Oren, it no longer exists, but the author has revamped and rewritten the series under the name Spearwood.
8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?
My Merry Mondays feature…all of them 😉 I love holidays and celebrating them so it’s a fun feature that even has a link-up should you want to join. It will be monthly starting Monday.
9. Best bookish discover (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?
Overdrive…it’s an ebook library!!! If you have a local library card, chances are you can login to this app on your e-reader or tablet and start reading books for free. I love it 😀
10. Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?
I did! I beat my Goodreads challenge of 125 books, I crushed my 16 book goal on the Dystopia Reading Challenge, and also completed the New Release Challenge as well.
Looking Ahead to 2017
1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2016 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2017?
I can’t believe I haven’t read this yet. *hangs head in shame* #1 priority after my tour books next month.
2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2017 (non-debut)?
3. 2017 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?
I’ve seen this one floating around on the blogosphere for a few months now and I’m dying to read it. A loose retelling of Labyrinth, yes please!!!
4. Series Ending/A Sequel You Are Most Anticipating in 2017?
There is not a cover yet for A Court of Wings and Ruin but that will not keep me from listing it! I cannot wait to read what will happen next to Feyre and the Night Court.
5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging Life In 2017?
My hope is to catch up on my ARCs. I’m so far behind that it has made reading less fun. In 2017, I’m hoping to get my reading mojo back!
6. A 2017 Release You’ve Already Read & Recommend To Everyone:
Seeing as how I’ve only read one so far and am reading a second now, I think I’ll skip this question…at least for now 😉
Your turn! What were your favorite reads in 2016? Any new book crushes? Share below